I love finding new beauty inspiration from the runways. It’s a no-brainer that designers inspire seasonal wardrobe overhauls, but the makeup artists they work with backstage can provide endless inspiration, too. One of my favourite looks for spring/summer 2013 is from Diane von Furstenberg’s show. There’s something so sexy about the smudgy under-eye makeup, a subtle nod to grunge ’90s without so much of the heroine-chic. Here’s how you can recreate the look for yourself.
1. Prep lids with an eyelid primer for a smooth base and even colour. My favourite is smashbox’s Photo Finish Lid Primer, $22, available from Sephora.
2. Shade entire upper lid to the brow bone with a soft beige shadow like MAC’s Shroom, $18. Then highlight under the eyebrows and in the inner corners of your eyes with a slightly shimmery white shadow; try MAC eye shadow in Vanilla, $18.
3. With a flat edged eye liner brush, apply a matte chocolate brown (like Laura Mercier Eye Colour in Coffee Ground, $28, available from Sephora) along the lower lash line, extending the line slightly beyond the eye at an angle towards the outer edge of your eyebrow. Be generous with your application – this is supposed to be a bottom heavy look.
4. Line the upper and lower waterlines with white eye liner; I’m a big fan of MAC Eye Kohl in Fascinating, $19. This really helps give that beautiful wide-eyed look the models had at the Dian von Furstenberg show.
5. In the crease, use a fluffy eye shadow brush to apply a sweep of peachy eye shadow – a perfect choice would be Laura Mercier Eye Colour in Guava, $28, available from Sephora.
6. Finish with a hefty dose of mascara – my current favourite is Guerlain Maxi Lash, $32, available from Sephora. It gives amazing volume and definition without clumps.
By: Madison Blake, Vancouver
You should follow me on Twitter @muchloveMB.
Diane von Furstenberg Spring 2013, image courtesy of Style.com.
Product images: sephora.ca and maccosmetics.com
Are you an employer? Post your job here.
Are you a job seeker? Find beauty jobs here.