Bikini season is fast approaching so I know you ladies are hitting the gym hard these days. I’ve been getting my workouts in whenever I can but after a vigorous sweat sesh there’s not always time for a full wash and blow-dry. So what’s a girl to do when her hair’s a hot mess and she’s got somewhere to go? Well, try some of my post-gym hair tricks and you’ll be ready to go from locker room to real world in no time.
1) If you have straight hair: tote a mini flat iron. There’s enough equipment to pack for the gym without hauling your hot styling tools as well, unless, of course, your flat iron is the size of a small stapler. As luck would have it, Sephora carries the perfect travel sized ceramic flat iron for après-gym touch-ups. The Amika Glitzy Gold & Pink Leopard Mini Ceramic Styler heats up quickly, comes in a cute and convenient tote, and is just $35.
2) If you have bangs: do a quick wash with a mini shampoo. To refresh your fringe, tie the rest of your hair back and give your bangs a quick cleanse, then blow them out with a round brush and you’re good to go. Miniature versions of your favourite shampoo are easy to obtain at your salon but I particularly like Bumble and bumble’s Crème de Coco shampoo for its amazing scent and moisturizing coconout and murumuru butters (and it’s only $8 for 2oz!).
3) If your hair is long: rock a braided style. Take a note from braid queen Lauren Conrad and tame your long hair by braiding at the hairline. This style looks equally adorable if you leave the rest of your hair down or pull it back into a ponytail or a loose bun. Bonus? It’s a totally versatile style that looks flirty enough for a date but professional enough for work. (Photo courtesy of CovetedCanvas)
4) If your hair is curly: spritz with water and a styling spray. If your curls fall flat or frizz up when you get hot and sweaty, you only need a couple key tools to bring them back to life. Carry a small spray bottle of water in your gym bag to apply a bit of moisture to your hair. Follow with an alcohol-free curl-activating spray to bring back the bounce. Try John Frieda Frizz-Ease Dream Curls Curl-Perfecting Spray, $7, available at London Drugs.
5) If your hair is short: try a twisted style with cute bobby pins. When I cut my long hair into an above-shoulder bob, I had to adjust my after-gym hairstyle since I could no longer rely on a French braid or ponytail. Armed with a pack of bobby-pins, this twisted look inspired by Gwen Stefani is my new go-to after I mess up my blow-out on the treadmill. For extra cute factor, swap out your regular bobby pins for brightly coloured ones. (Photo courtesy of Glamour)
6) If you need a quick refresher: spray with dry shampoo. Undone and textured styles are actually on-trend for spring; if you’re lucky enough that your after-workout hair falls just so, then all you need is a spray with dry shampoo to remove oil and odour. Try Tresemme Fresh Start Volumizing Dry Shampoo, $4, available at London Drugs.
By: Madison Blake, Vancouver
You should follow me on Twitter @muchloveMB.
Are you an employer? Post your job here.
Are you a job seeker? Find beauty jobs here.