You know how the Little Black Dress is a tried, tested and true wardrobe staple for instant glamour? I like to think of false lashes as the makeup equivalent. Sure, applying false lashes is a bit tricky and requires practice, but the end result is totally worth it! Individual lash clusters create a more natural look and, in my opinion, are a bit easier to apply than a full lash strip.
Intimidated by falsies? Fret not! Here’s an easy how-to guide to apply:
1. Starting with clean lashes, apply your eye makeup with the exception of mascara.
2. Curl your lashes. (Shiseido Eyelash Curler, $19, available at Sephora)
3. Squeeze a tiny drop of lash glue onto the back of your hand. If you have sensitive eyes, opt for latex-free lash glue like Revlon’s Precision Lash Adhesive which is much gentler on your pretty peepers. It’s best to test out lash glue before an event to avoid any reactions – trust me, I learned this the hard way! (Revlon Precision Lash Adhesive, $6, available at Shoppers Drug Mart)
4. Pick up a lash cluster using slant-edge tweezers. Grip the cluster close to the base, not by the tip which could tear the lashes, and dip the base into the glue. Wait about 15 seconds to allow the glue to get sticky. (Tweezerman Stainless Steel Slant Tweezers, $22, available at Sephora)
5. Tilt your head back so you can see your lash line in the mirror. Starting at the outer corner of your eye, stick the lash cluster in the first open spot you see between your lashes, wiggling it in so it sits right on the lash line. (MAC 30 Lash, $19)
6. Working inward, add a couple more clusters on any open spots
7. Made a mistake? Gently pull off the cluster with your fingers, peel glue off the base, dab it into the glue and stick it back on.
8. Once you have finished both eyes, leave your lashes alone to set for 5 minutes, then sweep on black mascara to marry the real and fake lashes. Avoid a thickening mascara, which can clump on fakes. (Lancôme Hypnôse Drama Mascara, $26, available at Sephora)
9. Prepare for some serious flirt appeal – bet you’ll be tempted to bat your lashes a little more often!
By: Ashley De Filippis, Toronto
You should follow me on Twitter @LovedoveAsh.
Are you an employer? Post your job here.
Are you a job seeker? Find beauty jobs here.