Skin care has come a long way. Thanks to new innovative formulas developed by lab chemists (boy, do we love those science enthusiasts!), there are a plethora of products on the market to address pretty much every skin need. Many of these formulas contain active ingredients to create such ‘magical’ products that treat our skin woes. It’s easy to forget that such ingredients are surprisingly fragile – it’s only a matter of time until oxygen and heat render them useless. And that won’t do us any good! Adhering to the expiry dates of our favourite ‘miracle’ creams, serums and other skin care ‘magic potions’ will ensure we get the optimal benefits from the powerful actives they contain. Not sure what to toss when? Here’s a quick guide:
1. Anything in a single-use tube: toss after 1 day since these formulas typically contain ingredients that oxidize upon air exposure. (Photo: Allure)
2. Hydroquinone creams: toss after 2 months. Opt for versions in an airtight pump and store them in the fridge, which will add an extra month to their life span. (Photo: Allure)
3. Swipe-on pads (Glycolic peels, acne treatments): toss after 2 months as by then most will start drying out. (Photo: PlasticSurgeryYall)
4. Peels and masks: toss after 3 months, as their buffering agents start evaporating making active ingredients more potent and irritating. (Photo: InStyle)
5. Acne products: toss after 4 to 6 months. Benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid decay quickly. Keep them in the fridge for maximum potency. (Photo: Allure)
6. Retinoid creams: toss after 9 to 11 months as this is when their collagen-producing power starts to fade. (Photo: Marie Claire)
7. Sunscreen: toss after 1 to 2 years, although it’s best to check the expiration date on the tube. Store sunscreen out of direct sunlight, or better yet in a cooler at the beach, since heat breaks down SPF. (Photo: IVStatic)
8. Moisturizing creams: toss after 1 year. (Photo: GlossDaily)
9. Exfoliating scrubs: toss after 2 years, as an open tub will become a breeding ground for bacteria over time. (Photo: AranthasGourmetBeauty)
By: Ashley De Filippis, Toronto
You should follow me on Twitter @LovedoveAsh.
Are you an employer? Post your job here.
Are you a job seeker? Find beauty jobs here.