Are you ever at the cosmetics counter uncertain whether the makeup you buy will remain on-trend for the season? Well, how’s on-trend for 6000 years for you? The Legend: Black Eyeliner was the first makeup to be invented in ancient Egypt circa 4000 B.C. Long before Chanel and Gaultier were referencing the late Amy Winehouse’s signature inked cat-eye on their runways, Nefertiti was using raw kohl to wing-out her liner and bring special attention to her peepers. The reason this timeless black-winged eye look has remained so popular is due to the style being accessible for all ages and races because its main function is to flatter any eye by forming it into the ideal almond shape.
For best results, draw along your eye first with a pencil liner then fill in with a liquid medium like M.A.C’s On The Hunt or Stila’s Stay All Day pen. Always keep the ends a little thicker and extend the line following the angle of your lower lash-line for that ultra-feline appeal. If you have trouble mastering liquid, try using a cream liner like Makeup Forever’s Aqua Black or Bobbi Brown’s Black Ink with an angled brush. Keep in mind any mistakes can be fixed with a trusty Q-tip! For an easy new approach, stick on some of Dior’s ready-made eyeliner adhesive patches or experiment with fun and edgy architectural shapes like the ones spotted on runways like The Blonds Spring 2012 or Mary Katrantzou Fall 2012. Remember, the eyes are the window to the soul… so you better frame them with some nice curtains!
1. (Left to right) Cleopatra, Amy Winehouse, Coco Rocha, Katy Perry, The Blonds Spring 2012, Mary Katrantzou Fall 2012
2. M.A.C On The Hunt Superslick Liquid Eyeliner, $21
3. Stila Stay All Day Liquid Eyeliner Pen, $20, available at Sephora
4. Bobbi Brown Black Ink Eyeliner, $24, available at Holt Renfrew
5. Make Up For Ever Aqua Black Eyeliner, $23, available at Sephora
6. Christian Dior Adhesive Eyeliner Patches, $59, available at Sephora
By: Jonathan Panetta, Montreal
You should follow me on Twitter @JonPanetta.
Are you an employer? Post your job here.
Are you a job seeker? Find beauty jobs here.